So You Want to Run for Council?
Individuals who are considering running for the role of Mayor, Regional Chair, Local or Regional Councillor in any of the Halton Region municipalities this October are invited to register for a virtual information session taking place on April 11, 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
Provided by Halton Region, the City of Burlington, and Towns of Halton Hills, Milton and Oakville, the information session - “So You Want to Run for Council” - will be led by Fred Dean, municipal coach and former municipal solicitor with extensive experience. The session will provide an overview of the roles and responsibilities of regional and municipal council members including duties, scope, and commitments.
This session will not cover information about nomination, campaigning or other election processes. Those details will be available through each of the area municipalities closer to the start of nomination this May.
For potential candidates
- To register for “So You Want to Run for Council” virtual session or email email@example.com
- Family members of potential candidates are also encouraged to attend to learn about impact on family life
- The municipal election provides equitable access to those who wish to bring their diverse perspectives and expertise to municipal and regional council
- Whether a long-time or a new Canadian citizen living in Halton, the municipal election is a significant way to serve your community and help shape the future
- To be a candidate, the individual must be a Canadian citizen, at least 18 years of age, and a resident of the municipality in which they intend to run for Council
While the municipal election is still months away, eligible voters can now complete the first step in preparing to vote this fall. Visit MPAC’s website www.voterlookup.ca to check if you are on the voter list. You can add or verify your details, update your address or contact information, and add new eligible voters of your household.
For more information, please contact:
Lindsay Di Tomasso
Acting Manager, Corporate Communications
905-825-6000, ext. 7889
City of Burlington
Tel 905-335-7600, ext. 7483
Town of Halton Hills
Office: 905-873-2600, ext. 2374
Town of Milton
Town of Oakville
Senior Communications Advisor
905-845-6601, Ext. 3094